Each semester a number of University College students have met or exceeded 56 IU GPA credit hours (including transfer credit hours, if any) and 1) have not completed all requirements, or 2) will not meet certain GPA standards, to matriculate to their degree school. Students not making satisfactory academic progress in their major will be strongly advised to pursue another major. Students with established majors must take only courses related to their major which are required for admittance into their degree school.
In an effort to provide more direction and better academic advising assistance to ensure that students have a realistic and attainable plan in place, the following grade point guidelines have been established for continuing in University College with 56 credits or more:
A. Continuing Students—defined as students who have been enrolled at IUPUI the previous semester
Returning Students—defined as returning students with an IU cumulative GPA after an absence of one or more semesters and not previously dismissed from an IU campus
· IU cumulative GPA 2.0 or above – students may remain in University College if they are making progress toward certification or application requirements into their degree school.
· IU cumulative GPA below 2.0– if students earned a semester GPA of 2.0 or above for the previous semester in which they attended, but have a cumulative GPA below 2.0, students may continue as long as they are making satisfactory academic progress toward acceptance into their degree school.
· IU semester GPA below 2.0 with cumulative GPA below 2.0- students will be dismissed from the university.
B. Transfer Students–defined as students from another institution admitted to University College with 56 credits or more
Inter Campus Transfer Students—defined as students transferring from another IU campus and admitted to University College with 56 credits or more
· IU cumulative GPA 2.0 or above – students may remain in University College if they are making progress toward certification or application into their degree school.
· IU semester GPA below 2.0- students who have attempted a minimum of 12 IUPUI credits (including Ws) will have one more semester in which to achieve a semester GPA of 2.0 or above. Two consecutive semesters below a 2.0 with a cumulative GPA below 2.0 will result in academic dismissal from the university.
C. Dismissed Students—defined as students dismissed with 56 credits or more with a semester and cumulative GPA below a 2.0 who meet the above criteria in part A or B.
· Applying for reinstatement does not guarantee that the student will be reinstated to University College. Students must successfully complete all requirements during the reinstatement process. If students have met one of the conditions below they may apply for reinstatement to University College.
o Student must attend another institution after being dismissed from IUPUI and complete a minimum of 6 credit hours of transferable coursework with a 2.0 GPA or above, or
o Student has been out of school for more than five years since leaving the IU system, including IUPUI.
· IU semester GPA of 2.3 or above after the first semester of reinstatement - students may remain in University College as long as they achieve a first semester GPA of 2.3 or achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above and are making satisfactory progress toward completion of certification or application to their degree school.
· IU semester GPA below 2.0 with cumulative GPA below 2.0- students will be dismissed again from the university. It is extremely rare to be reinstated after a second dismissal.
Adopted: 1998 (with move from Office of Admissions to newly formed University College)
Revised: 4/05; 5/08; 9/11
Current Policy Approved by UCOL Faculty 9/16/11