- Ph.D., Psychology (Cognition and Development), Emory University, 1992
- M.S., Psychology (Developmental Psychology), University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1989
- B.S., Psychology, Summa cum Laude, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1987
Kathy Johnson serves as the executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer of IUPUI. Beginning July 1, 2022, Johnson also assumed interim leadership of the Division of Undergraduate Education and University College as part of her overall portfolio and during the vacancy of the joint position.
Johnson began serving as interim executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer in August 206 and was appointed to the position permanently in July 2016. In this position, Johnson fulfills a key leadership role in developing and guiding the implementation of IUPUI’s academic plans and programs. Additionally, she oversees the process for the recruitment, hiring, and advancement of faculty, including promoting the continued success of the campus’s efforts to increase the quality and diversity of its faculty.
Some of Johnson’s key administrative accomplishments include:
- Restructuring the Office of Academic Affairs to increase efficiencies, improve communications, and align positions with strategic needs of the office
- Creating the Office of Institutional Research and Decision Support to combine IUPUI’s strength in institutional research with expertise in analytics, survey research, and program evaluation
- Launching the Division of Undergraduate Education as a means of providing more coordination of the academic experience for undergraduates
- Expanding recruitment of students into targeted degree programs
- Improving support for the recruitment and retention of students from diverse groups in collaboration with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Leading planning to develop a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship among students in partnership with faculty, staff, and organizations within business, industry, and the community
Johnson’s IUPUI career has spanned faculty and administrative roles. In 1993, Johnson joined IUPUI as an assistant professor of psychology in the School of Science. From 2008 to 2011, she served as chair of the Department of Psychology. From 2011 to 2015, Johnson served as dean of University College and associate vice chancellor for undergraduate education, ultimately leading to her current role as executive vice chancellor and chief academic officer.
Johnson is a graduate of Emory University with a Ph.D. in Psychology, specializing in Cognition and Development. She has extensive publications in scientific journals in areas related to expertise acquisition and concept development, and she has served as principal investigator or co-principal investigator on a number of grants awarded through the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes for Health. Nationally, Johnson has served on steering committees for the Coalition of Urban-Serving Universities, as president of the Association of Deans and Directors of University Colleges & Undergraduate Studies, and as Indiana’s state liaison for the Association of American College and Universities’ Faculty Collaboratives Project.