Students who have been dismissed from any campus of Indiana University are not eligible to enroll in any courses through IUPUI University College until they have been reinstated. By completing the online reinstatement petition, students are requesting reinstatement to IUPUI University College.
Academic reinstatement policy
- Reinstatement for University College students will be the decision of University College.
- Students' chances for reinstatement will be enhanced by carefully following all directions in the petition for reinstatement. This includes submitting a detailed essay that addresses previous academic challenges; what they would do differently to enhance their academic strengths; plans for using academic resources; and if they have attended another institution after their previous dismissal, evidence (such as an unofficial transcript) of their ability to complete successful academic work upon their reinstatement to IUPUI.
- Students who are reinstated will be classified as probationary students until their cumulative IU GPA is 2.0 or above. During the first regularly enrolled semester on probation, students must achieve a semester GPA of at least a 2.3. In each subsequent semester on probation, students must achieve a semester GPA of 2.0. Failure to meet the semester GPA requirement will result in dismissal.
- Students who are reinstated must register before the first day of classes of the term for which they are reinstated. If a student does not register, registration will be blocked on the first day of classes. In addition, a note will be placed in the student’s file indicating that the student failed to meet the registration deadline.
- Readmission after a second dismissal is extremely rare. Students dismissed two or more times who are reinstated must remain in good academic standing each semester as there will be no further reinstatements. Students who wish to petition for reinstatement after two or more dismissals must email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment with the director for academic success. Before the appointment, students must submit a detailed plan in writing about their plans to achieve academic success should they be allowed to return. If the director approves the plans, students will then be required to submit a formal petition for reinstatement by the deadline for the semester in which they plan to attend.
Please Note: The School of Liberal Arts, School of Science, and University College, in agreement with this common policy, will honor academic probation and dismissal status from other units when students have an IU cumulative GPA below 2.0. Students may also be academically dismissed or released from a particular program if they do not make consistent and appropriate academic progress relevant to their fields of study. This is left to the discretion of the appropriate officer in the school. Students who are dismissed for the first time from IUPUI, IU Bloomington, Purdue, IU regional campuses, or other IUPUI schools must sit out for a minimum of one regular (fall or spring) semester and petition by the established deadlines to be eligible for reinstatement.
Editorial Revision: 2-1-2019
How to petition for academic reinstatement
- Update your admission status with IUPUI. Undergraduate Admissions priority deadlines are November 15 for spring and May 15 for fall. You can use the appropriate method below based on your current status.
- Transferring from another IU campus: Complete the intercampus transfer application if you have attended or are currently attending another IU campus.
- Returning after two or more semesters: Complete the returning student application if you have not attended IUPUI or an IU campus within the past two semesters.
- Returning after one semester: Admission-related action is not needed if you have only been out for one semester.
- Complete the reinstatement petition application between the appropriate
dates for the semester in which you prefer to return.
- Spring Semester: August 1 to October 1
- Fall Semester: April 1 to June 1 (Please note that the deadline to petition for reinstatement for the fall 2020 semester has been extended to July 15, 2020.)
- Allow up to four weeks for the retention committee to review your
petition. You will be notified via email on the acceptance or denial of your reinstatement petition.
- Please be advised that University College charges a nonrefundable fee of $55 when submitting your reinstatement petition. A separate email with directions for payment will be sent once your completed petition has been received.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.