Students who have been dismissed from any campus of Indiana University are not eligible to enroll in any courses through IUPUI University College until they have been reinstated. By completing the online reinstatement petition, students are requesting reinstatement to IUPUI University College.
Academic reinstatement policy
- Reinstatement for University College students will be the decision of University College.
- Students' chances for reinstatement will be enhanced by carefully following all directions in the petition for reinstatement. This includes submitting a detailed essay that addresses previous academic challenges; what they would do differently to enhance their academic strengths; plans for using academic resources; and if they have attended another institution after their previous dismissal, evidence (such as an unofficial transcript) of their ability to complete successful academic work upon their reinstatement to IUPUI.
- Students who are reinstated will be classified as probationary students until their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above. During the first regularly enrolled semester on probation, students will be strongly encouraged to enroll in no more than 10 credit hours and must achieve a semester GPA of at least a 2.0. In each subsequent semester on probation, students will be permitted to enroll full time, but must continue to achieve a semester GPA of 2.0. Failure to meet the semester GPA requirement will result in dismissal.
- Students who are reinstated must register before the first day of classes of the term for which they are reinstated. If a student does not register, registration will be blocked on the first day of classes. In addition, a note will be placed in the student’s file indicating that the student failed to meet the registration deadline.
- Readmission after a second dismissal is extremely rare. Students dismissed two or more times who are reinstated must remain in good academic standing each semester as there will be no further reinstatements. Students who wish to petition for reinstatement after two or more dismissals must email email@example.com to request an appointment with the director for academic success. Before the appointment, students must submit a detailed plan in writing about their plans to achieve academic success should they be allowed to return. If the director approves the plans, students will then be required to submit a formal petition for reinstatement by the deadline for the semester in which they plan to attend.
How to petition for academic reinstatement
Beginning January 1, 2024:
- Update your admission status with IUPUI. If you are transferring from another IU campus or have been away from IUPUI for two or more semesters, please update your IU-Indianapolis undergraduate Admissions status before the reinstatement petition deadlines listed below (in bold).
- Complete the reinstatement petition application for the semester in which you want to return.
- Spring semester: August 1 to October 15
- Fall semester: April 1 to June 15
- Allow up to four weeks for the retention committee to review your
petition. You will be notified via email on the acceptance or denial of your reinstatement petition.
- Please be advised that University College charges a nonrefundable fee of $25 when submitting your reinstatement petition. A separate email with directions for payment will be sent once your completed petition has been received.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.