The Barbara D. Jackson Outstanding First-Year Student Advocate Award recognizes and celebrates the efforts of IUPUI faculty, staff, and administrators who provide leadership in creating a positive learning environment for first-year students. Recipients will be recognized at the Division of Undergraduate Education Spring Awards Convocation, receive a plaque, and be awarded a $1,000 monetary award.
Recognizing efforts to help first-year students
The purpose is to recognize significant contributions of IUPUI faculty, staff, and administrators to the academic development and/or personal lives of first-year students through innovative programs and curricular change.
The award is open to any full-time or part-time IUPUI faculty, staff, or administrator with a requirement of at least three years of service at the IUPUI campus.
- Evidence that contributions are significant, at either the departmental, unit, or campus level, in contributing to positive learning environments for first-year students.
- Evidence that contributions are sustainable over time.
- Evidence that contributions are innovative and demonstrate best practice.
- Evidence that dissemination of information about program, technique, or curricular innovation (e.g., presentations, publications, products) has occurred.
- Documented assessment of impact on student learning, student satisfaction, or student persistence and retention.
- The primary nominator completes the nomination form and writes a short
letter (less than 400 words) supporting the nomination. The primary
nominator can submit this information by visiting this site.
- Nominees will be contacted by a representative from the Institute for Engaged Learning – and asked to submit:
- A personal narrative (up to 3 pages) that describes and documents how the award criteria are met.
- A CV or professional resume.
- 1 additional letter to support the nomination (this letter is in addition to the one submitted by the nominator).
Nominations will be accepted through 5:00pm on Wednesday, February 1,
2022. Please use this link to submit a nomination.
2021 Michael Kendall
2020 Audrey Ricke
2019 Dennis Rudnick
2018 Jennifer Schott
2017 Lisa Angermeier
2016 Andrea Engler
2015 Jeff Watt
2014 Kate Thedwall
2013 Crystal Garcia
2012 Nancy Lamm
2011 Phyllis Washington
2010 Jan DeWester
2009 David Sabol
2008 Francia Kissel